Ever tweaked a muscle? Have you sprained an ankle? Do your joints ache occasionally? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you’ve had one of many musculoskeletal injuries. Virtual physical therapy, or virtual PT, can help you treat many musculoskeletal injuries, and it can even help you prevent them in the future.
What are musculoskeletal injuries?
Also called musculoskeletal conditions, these injuries are the leading cause of disability globally. Such conditions include those that affect the:
- Ligaments and tendons
Which musculoskeletal injuries can virtual physical therapists help you with?
During a virtual physical therapy session, a therapist can help you treat a wide range of musculoskeletal conditions. First, they’ll evaluate your symptoms and movement to determine what type of injury you have. Some of the injuries often treated with virtual PT include:
- Arthritis — A category of conditions characterized by joint inflammation and pain.
- Ankle sprain— An injury that occurs when you overstretch or tear an ankle ligament.
- Strained muscle — When a muscle is overstretched or slightly torn.
- Patellofemoral syndrome — A knee injury that occurs when the soft tissue of your knee is irritated by repetitive movement or misalignment.
- Lower back pain — One of the most common types of musculoskeletal pain. It can be caused by issues with lower back muscles, vertebrae, nerves or facet joints.
What can a virtual physical therapist do to treat musculoskeletal conditions?
There are different ways a physical therapist can treat your musculoskeletal injuries during virtual PT sessions. Some of the ways your therapist may treat your condition include:
- Education — Your physical therapist will help educate you about your injury and how it affects your daily function. This can help you become more involved in your own recovery.
- Movement recommendations — Certain movements will be more difficult and painful when you’re injured. Your physical therapist can inform you which motions you should avoid and can teach you alternate ways to perform certain movements to allow for better function.
- Therapeutic exercises — These exercises can help strengthen and stretch your injured body part. As a result, you might find they decrease your pain or allow you to complete activities you were unable to do prior to treatment. Your physical therapist can demonstrate exercises that can help you meet these goals.
Find effective virtual PT for musculoskeletal injuries at Agile Virtual Care
Not sure where to find effective virtual PT for your injury? Our team at Agile Virtual Care is primed to help you get high-quality physical therapy virtually. We can assess your symptoms and movement to pinpoint which injury you have. Our physical therapists can then create a personalized therapy plan for you that’s designed to reduce and prevent pain. Furthermore, they can supervise your plan virtually with the aim of helping you recover as quickly as possible.
Contact our team today for more information about all the ways we can treat an injury or to schedule an initial appointment.